It’s a known fact that most of the state of Georgia is heading to Spring Break vacations next week. While families are excited to spend some time relaxing on the beach, in the mountains or somewhere in between, burglars are excited to get to work on possibly vandalizing your home! We urge you to take some precautions before you leave to protect your home so you can focus on a well-deserved vacation!
- HIRE A HOUSE SITTER: A home that looks lived in is a safer home. Consider hiring a house or pet sitter to stay in your home. They can also grab your mail and newspapers, water your plants and take the garbage to the curb and back. This is the best solution to minimize the risk of burglars trying to invade your home. If you are unable to find someone, ask a neighbor you trust to check your home periodically.
- MOW YOUR LAWN: Before you head out make sure to mow your lawn. Arrange for a lawn service or a neighbor to take care of it if you are gone for more than five days.
- HOLD MAIL DELIVERY: If you do not have someone to pick up your mail and newspaper deliveries, stop the delivery services until you return.
- AUTOMATIC TIMERS: Set up automatic timers on indoor and outdoor lights to give the illusion someone is home.
- PARKED CAR: Park a spare car in your driveway in plain view from the road. If a spare car isn’t available, ask a neighbor if they wouldn’t mind parking their car in your driveway.
- AVOID SOCIAL MEDIA POSTINGS: Tech-savvy burglars are waiting to see where you are located, giving them the green light to potentially invade your home.
- INVEST IN A SECURITY SYSTEM: We strongly recommend you invest in a home security system with monitoring to help deter potential burglars.
- LOCK UP: Make sure all gates, doors and windows are properly secure. Unplug the opening device of automatic garage doors and lock the doors. Place any valuables you own in a locked safe or safety deposit box and keep hidden from view.
As you and your family embark on your well-deserved spring break vacation, follow these security tips to help keep your home protected and to give you peace of mind. For more information regarding legal issues and your specific situation, contact Gerstenberger Law at (770) 920-7722.
The information found on the Gerstenberger Law site is for educational purposes only. Your situation and the situation of others are unique and more complex. This is neither legal advice nor to be considered legal advice. Contact us for advice about your specific situation.